Re: Professional inquiry for you freelancers

At 11:33 PM -0500 12/5/07, Steve Finkelstein wrote:
Hi all,

Going to cut it short and to the point. Do most of you freelancers get
by with enough work that does not require front-end UI/design? Do you
find it easier to get more work when you're strengths in design are
just as creative as your programming capabilities?

-snip-

Thanks for your humble opinions.  Appreciate the feedback!

Steve:

I can't speak for others, but I'm one of those "do it all" guys (or at least I try).

I program about equally well in most web languages (php, mysql, css, javascript, ajax, html, xml, flash, whatever). To me, all languages are basically the same and I mix them thoroughly throwing variables into css and having ajax controlling php, playing with Flash, and doing odd stuff with jQuery and such.

While I often recommend to my clients that they use someone other than me to design a layout (not the css, but the artwork), my clients often find my artwork acceptable. I guess their taste is a bad as mine.

However, what I think is of major importance is the way things look to the client. Of course, it goes without saying that your code should run efficiently and be secure and so on, but the end-result it has to look impressive to the client.

Considering I came from a Macintosh programming background, GUI comes second nature to me. While my greatest joy is programming php, I have to marvel at the unobtrusive DOM scripting that javascript does. There's lot's of opportunity to put frosting on the cake, so to speak.

So, while it may be nice to work for a shop where you're doing just one thing, but as a freelancer the larger you can cast your net, the more clients you land. Most of mine don't even know what a host is and rely on me to make everything work the way they want it -- and the only thing they really have a say so in (besides functionality) is the way things look. as such, the better my work looks, the less work for me.

Anyway, that's the way it is for me.

Cheers,

tedd
--