Re: PHP ide? Back On Topic

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Instruct ICC wrote:
> Do you pay for Ubuntu?  Maybe a support package?
>
> Earlier this week I was pissed at Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and their
> developers.  And I began thinking that the major difference between open
> source software (free as in no $ outa my pocket) and retail closed source
> software is that maybe, just maybe, I have someone to complain to about
> their bugs in the retail case, and should just be thankful I have an
> ordered set of bits given to me for free in the open source case that
> sometimes gets the job done (not to mention sometimes getting support,
> community, knowledge, etc.).

In my case, it's entirely different.  Too many proprietary software companies
are locking down their software too far for me to be comfortable with.  DRM,
product activation, region coding, forced-subscriptions... "The more you
tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more software users will slip through your
fingers."  There's still a very small number of non-free programs I use, but
they're being replaced as quickly as I can with something open source and at
least passable.  I simply don't trust code that tries to fight me.

*snip lots of talk about Dreamweaver et al*

> I just looked at Eclipse PDT (due to this topic and its posts).  It looks
> like a text editor with possible project grouping of files.  What do I gain
> by using it?
>
> Aptana is okay for Ajaxy javascript and html (and I think PHP).  It's
> Eclipse again though LOL.  I just don't like when I feel constrained and
> can't absolutely place a widget (like you can in MS Visual Basic).

If you want to absolutely control layout, don't bother designing for the
web. :-)

> Netbeans Matisse (it has a new name now) can do it, but it deploys to Java.
>  Delphi for PHP (retail product) looks good, but its MS Windows only.  And
> although I can use a VM, I'd rather stay away from MS products.  Sun Java
> Studio Creator can, but it's Java again.
>
> What do you want in an integrated development environment?
>
> I would expect Zend Studio to be _the_ PHP IDE, but it doesn't meet what I
> want in an IDE.

That's because Zend Studio (which is one of the few proprietary programs that
I feel tempted to use personally, as I use it at work and love it) is a
programmer's IDE.  It's for people writing code.  From the sound of it,
you're looking for a designer's IDE, for doing things graphically.

There's nothing wrong with that, mind you.  Not in the least.  But it's a
different sort of task, and requires a different sort of tool.

> I want to "just model" like Gentleware's Poseidon.  Maybe some UML; maybe
> just Tersus. I want to refactor like Sun Java Studio Enterprise.
> I want to layout my GUI like VB, Matisse, and Apple's Interface Builder.

Then you don't want to be working in HTML.

> I want to remote debug like Zend Studio.

That is easily my #1 favorite feature. :-)  The only worthwhile
context-sensitive code-assistance I've yet to find would be a close second.
But I highly doubt you'll find a first-class PHP code IDE (Zend Studio) that
is also a first-class HTML layout tool (Dreamweaver).

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson