Re: RE: Reaching the PHP mailing list owners

On 10/31/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:29 -0700, John Moss wrote:
> > Thank you, Daniel Brown, Richard Buskirk, Robert Cummings, David Giragosian
> > ~ and anyone else who may have jumped in to my message within the last
> > minute or two, trying to help me.

No problem!

> > I realize that I
> > might not be permitted to show a page (provide a URL) as an illustration of
> > my point - I am certainly not advertising anything. The site in question
> > belongs to a volunteer fire department, and I am donating my time trying to
> > create a comparable page for my own volunteer fire department.

You're not only allowed to post links, but you're encouraged to do so,
especially if there's a problem or error message that we should be
able to see to help you to debug the issue.  So feel free to post
links to examples, so long as it's not SPAM'ing the hell out of the
list for penis pills and the like.  I'm sure you'll find more than one
(myself included) volunteer firefighters, EMTs, and rescuers on here,
in fact.

> PHP is merely an interpreter. The speed of any page to load in a browser
> depends on a number of factors. Four of the most important factors are
> the following:
>
>     1. what is being loaded? How much programming is necessary to
>        achieve the outcome.
>
>     2. How fast is the server hardware that handles the processing.
>
>     3. How good is the connection to the remote server. This includes
>        both bandwidth and latency (latency being the round trip time
>        to make a request of any kind for the server).
>
>     4. How well did the programmer implement the functionality
>        needed. It's one thing to have a heavy load of processing,
>        it's another to use bad algorthms that bog down the server.

    Adding to Rob's points, it should be expanded on Point #3 that
traffic will also be a major factor in the available bandwidth and
latency.  And to further the latency point, the "round-trip" time will
usually take longer, logically, if your server is across the country
than, say, in your home county.  So the site you'd like to mimic may
be hosted nearer to you than the physical machine hosting your
department's current website.  Keep in mind that, for locally-oriented
websites, it's best to host as local as possible, since that's from
where the vast majority of your traffic will originate.  Finally on
that point, browser processing speeds (due to local CPU/RAM/other
constraints) may have either a positive or negative impact on the
experience.

    Expanding Point #1, keep in mind that graphic- and media-intensive
websites (including Flash) will no doubt take longer to fully load.

    Lastly, expanding on Point #4, not only does it depend on how well
the underlying code was written, but also how much pre-processing is
required of PHP (or whatever server-side dynamic language is being
used) for each time the page is requested.  If there is caching in
place, or functions and routines are only called when absolutely
necessary.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.  Then you'll find out he was
allergic and is hospitalized.  See?  No good deed goes unpunished....