Re: RE: Reaching the PHP mailing list owners

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 07:29 -0700, John Moss wrote:
> Thank you, Daniel Brown, Richard Buskirk, Robert Cummings, David Giragosian
> ~ and anyone else who may have jumped in to my message within the last
> minute or two, trying to help me.
>
> Below is the message I was writing to ask someone (who I didn't know) just
> how to participate in a mailing list. I've never done this - but it seems
> all I had to do was send a message to this address. Strange. For me, strange
> indeed. But - I am appreciative of the concept and a little bewildered by
> the options that seem to be available...
>
> OK - stupidity aside - I have a real question and don't know how to find an
> answer. I write html, have for years. I have many web sites, and lately have
> run aground trying to determine how my competition is able to load pages
> exceedingly fast. It appears the site uses php, and crosslinks to pages
> within the site load blindingly fast. There does not appear to be frames
> involved, but the tables that contain the web page bracket a display area in
> the center of each page that makes the site appear to be frame oriented. My
> question: how is php able to load this page so quickly? I realize that I
> might not be permitted to show a page (provide a URL) as an illustration of
> my point - I am certainly not advertising anything. The site in question
> belongs to a volunteer fire department, and I am donating my time trying to
> create a comparable page for my own volunteer fire department. I just can't
> seem to figure out what this php is all about and how it might help load a
> page so fast.

PHP is merely an interpreter. The speed of any page to load in a browser
depends on a number of factors. Four of the most important factors are
the following:

    1. what is being loaded? How much programming is necessary to
       achieve the outcome.

    2. How fast is the server hardware that handles the processing.

    3. How good is the connection to the remote server. This includes
       both bandwidth and latency (latency being the round trip time
       to make a request of any kind for the server).

    4. How well did the programmer implement the functionality
       needed. It's one thing to have a heavy load of processing,
       it's another to use bad algorthms that bog down the server.

Cheers,
Rob.
SwarmBuy.com - http://www.swarmbuy.com

    Leveraging the buying power of the masses!