Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

On 10/10/07, Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All your examples all falling on deaf ears. The fact of the matter is that
> encapsulation does NOT mean data hiding, therefore I do NOT have to make
> all
> my member variables private.

i thought we agreed  to disagree on that  point; im done discussing it.

The fact that you have used interfaces in that example proves nothing to me.
> It is possible to code a solution which does not use interfaces, so what
> are
> the benefits of the "with interfaces" solution over the"without
> interfaces"
> solution. If there are no benefits then I prefer to stick with the
> "without
> interfaces" solution.

lets see your w/o example then.

Just because you CAN use interfaces does not mean that you MUST use
> interfaces. I can build solutions without them, so I do not see any
> advantage in using them.

i told you what the benefit is; HumanHand and Grass have no relationship
other than
they are both Cuttable.
the advantage to using them in this case is if Grass and HumanHand both
inherited from
the same base class they would have common member variables which makes no
sense
because they arent directly related.

there are plenty of libraries that are open source and utilize interfaces in
their design.
look at ezc, onphp and SPL for more examples.

-nathan