Re: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

wow, this thread has blown into a massive debate about oop.
well, i guess im the only one on the list who doesnt think php4 brings
enough to the table with its oop offerings.
the conversation has taken focus on what encapsulation is or isnt, but
recall, i pointed out there are many advantages php5 has.  i just think ppp
is one of the major features, if not the major feature that php4 lacks that
makes me shy away from it.
im not the only one who feels this way; i just must be the only one on the
list
who cares to say anything about it.  well here is an excerpt from the source
of code igniter, a popular open source php framework written in both php4
and
php5.

/**
 * CI_BASE - For PHP 4
 *
 * This file is used only when CodeIgniter is being run under PHP 4.
 *
 * In order to allow CI to work under PHP 4 we had to make the Loader class
 * the parent of the Controller Base class.  It's the only way we can
 * enable functions like $this->load->library('email') to instantiate
 * classes that can then be used within controllers as $this->email->send()
 *
 * PHP 4 also has trouble referencing the CI super object within application
 * constructors since objects do not exist until the class is fully
 * instantiated.  Basically PHP 4 sucks...
 *
 * Since PHP 5 doesn't suffer from this problem so we load one of
 * two files based on the version of PHP being run.
 *
 * @package        CodeIgniter
 * @subpackage    codeigniter
 * @category    front-controller