Structure of maintainable websites

Hello,

I'm currently maintaining a website (I developed myself) for the Intranet of a public school. Among the usual things (news, login system, online grading) the web interface is also used for controlling the server it resides on (which includes a few simple tasks such as verifying the UPS load, adding users, editing a few conf files) and also it is used for (actually, the main purpose of it) enabling/restricting/disabling internet access to each of our computer labs.

The system started quite small (since it had to be built fast), but is starting to grow to incorporate new features. Currently, each function of the system is built in a different php file. It doesn't use any template system, though all shared functions are stored in several files in a /lib directory and imported in an as-needed basis. Some of the libraries are third party, so some are strictly funcional, others are Object-Oriented.

I have worked with a few CMSs in the past, indeed I even wrote plugins for some, so I have *some* idea of application design in PHP. However, I'd like a few pointers on how to make a good, solid infrastructure for my code (possibly a complete redesign) which allows it to be easily maintained by future analists. Would using Smarty be the best solution, in this case? Personally, I wouldn't like to tie the system with any existing CMS.

So, my question is: are there any good practices that I should be aware of or example websites I can study, that will give me the knowledge I need? I'm not looking for references on general software design approaches, but practical information on how to apply them to PHP websites.

Thanks,
Matheus Degiovani.