Re: Pragmatically changing a "Record Number"

--- Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So to say it another way, I have a table that has
> 900 records in it,
> I've added 3 records, but then deleted 2 of those
> which puts the
> actual record count at 901 but my auto increment
> field starts at 904
> on the next insert.
>
> Is there away with PHP that I can pragmatically
> change that value to
> the total records in the database more so then a
> representation of
> the actual record number?

Some database concepts:

The autoincrement feature is to provide a unique "key"
for the record. It does not provide an "order". Many
tables have more than one "order".

Usually a different field or field determines the
order(s). It usually has an index.

To provide a row number, based on some order, you need
a field for this. Whenever a field is deleted, you
would need to repopulate the fields in each record
after the deleted record in the database.

I saw a nested SQL query that did this once, but my
SQL is not good enough to try to illustrate.

Stephen