Re: need insights on encrypting and uploading ASCII file using PHP

There's a lot of things you could do.  You could use ssl and some sort of PGP on the server side hooked into the ssl, and a whole mess of other things.  But that still won't guarentee who sent the file, as all the PGP stuff is done server side, digital signatures wouldn't mean anything.  The best way to do it would be to have the users whom are submitting the file to upload use a copy of PGP or GnuPGP on their local machiene then just upload the file like you always have.  If people are requesting encryption from you request that they do something too(mainly encrypt it) since you'll decrypt it later.

- Dan
  ""John A DAVIS"" <John.A.Davis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:20070727T132107Z_2A8000080000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  We have various labs that submit coliform sample results in an ASCII file, quoted/comma delimited.

  We are being asked to encrypt this file for internet transfer. We are also being asked to create a secure process by which to transfer this file across the interent.

  Currently:
  the lab pushes and button and generates the ASCII file (12 columns)
  the lab logs in to a PHP webpage and uses the file upload input to submit the file.
  If data is valid, file is saved on our server in a folder where we can pull it into the respective tables.

  Be nice to have some insights on how to encrypt this file at the source and how to transfer the file securely. We keep hearing the words, "digital signature".

  Thanks in advance,

  John A. Davis
  Programmer
  State of Oregon DHS OIS
  CNE, MCSE

  "Don't think of the problem, think of the solution"