Re: Profile / Debug w/o server modification?

On Fri, July 27, 2007 3:49 pm, Instruct ICC wrote:
> Are there any "magic functions" like __sleep and __wakeup that get
> called
> upon entry and exit of user functions or user object methods?
>
> Something like
> __hookEntry For User Functions
> __hookExit For User Functions
> __hookOoEntry For User Object Methods
> __hookOoExit For User Object Methods

Somewhere in the guts there must be, for xdebug and others to work...

But they probably aren't exposed to user-space, since, by definition,
their callback function would be in userspace which would mean these
functions would have to "know" not to do the __hook*

And sooner or later somebody would type a PHP infinite loop of a hook
and then you'd have a real mess...

> Basically I want a profiler like xdebug, but I know my admin is going
> cringe since it involves adjusting the server settings.

So install stuff on a box of your own that's gathering dust in the
closet.

> Also, I don't want it "always on".  I want it only to profile when I
> say.
> http://php.net/apd seems to say it will only be in use when I use
> "apd_set_pprof_trace".
>
> Is "xdebug.default_enable" able to be set with ini_set per script?

Almost for sure you can turn it on/off with PHP function calls.

> But xdebug and apd are probably moot.
>
> BTW, I'm not using separate development and production machines.

Right there is your first problem.

Solve that first.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.