Re: Objects

On 7/25/07, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric,

i was referring to the exact book you mentioned.  here is an excerpt from
page 32
of the book:
' we assume you know the oo basics of using classes polymorphically,
how inheritance is like design by contract, and how encapsulation works.  if
you are a little rusty on these, pull out your head first java review, then
skim
this chapter again.'

so naturally, it follows that if you havent learned about classes, and how
they can
be related at a language level *first* design patterns might be a bit
vexing.  i would
say to OP that if you arent going to get an oop book first at least read up
on the oop
section of the php5 handbook before getting started.  and for your sanity
dont bother
w/ php4.

btw.  tonys work looks pretty solid to me.  having come from a computer
science background,
taught computer science, worked w/ java and php and now studying design
patterns i would
say learn the basic oop stuff first ;)

-nathan

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/hero-or-heretic.html

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/oop-for-heretics.html

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/databaseobjects.html

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/databaseobjects2.html

> > I wrote these for the simple reason that, just like you, I found too
many
> > articles with lots of theory but no substance. Unfortunately too many of
> > these theories conflicted with my past experience, so I chose to ignore
most
> > of them, and achieved far better results.
> >
> > You can download my sample application from

http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/sample-application.html
which provides

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfdesignpat/

> If you read the book I pasted a link to it would make perfect sense.
> It goes from the beginning to the end show exactly what the decorator
> is, why you would use it, and how to use it.  It isn't just saying
> here is a decorator.  It uses a real world example and a real world
> solution.  Even if you don't know programming the examples are so
> straight forward with illustrations that if you think you get it.
>
> Now if you just look at some quick example then sure, they are very
> confusing.  It might just seem like way more code for no apparent
> reason.  That is why books sell though.  The authors put lots of
> energy into making the ideas make sense rather than throwing
> psudo-code at you.
>
> I've seen your posts here before and I know you are very set in your
> opinions on what is "right" and "wrong."  I think you should just
> consider for a minute not all people think along the same lines as you
> or myself.
>
> I also came from a procedural background where $this confused me to no
> end.  Then I found the factory pattern and saw that was useful for
> database things.  After that I realized I could do all sorts of neat
> things using the concept of having interchangable parts.  At first I
> didn't know it was called a "factory," but just saw that it was great
> being able to call a method to get different drivers.  Later on after
> I discovered there was a name, patterns, for these reusable ideas it
> just kept getting better.
>
> --

Fair enough.  :)