Re[2]: Better way to store data in memory?

Hi Richard,

Wednesday, July 25, 2007, 5:20:32 AM, you wrote:

> It's possible, maybe, that using imagecolorat and imagesetcolor (or
> whatever it is) would be faster than array access...

In the end I implemented RLE on the image data, and depending on the
image in question it is saving sometimes up to 70%, which I'm quite
happy with. I also found a neat way to avoid using a temporary
location, dropping my requirement for the massive array entirely.

> It would be Really Nifty if the GD library provided functions to
> convert a pixel column to an array and vice versa, eh?

Certainly, but I won't hold my breath. You can *almost* get a similar
result to this by holding the image data in a string and grabbing
chunks from it that way (GDs imagestring() function being a god-send
here)

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"