Re: Strategy when working with designer(s)?

On 7/23/07, Steve Finkelstein <sf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

This is more of a conceptual based inquiry. I'm currently working on
some projects which require me to build system 'X' prior to any
(X)HTML/CSS/graphics are available to me. A lot of the time, I just
garble up default tables/forms/images to replace what the designer will
be ultimately adjusting. It's certainly a lot simpler to have someone
come to you with the CSS/HTML and then building on top of that.

I was curious how do you folks who strictly do development and not
designing, strategically work with a designer in this fashion? Do you
have a skeleton you follow or preload some existing templates and then
code around that? If there's even a book which focuses on such concepts,
I'd be more than happy to purchase and read it.

Thank you kindly for any insight.

- sf

I actually prefer to work this way.  If you build markup that is
meaninful then your designers should be able to work with what you've
done, rather than you having to work with what they give you.

Watch this: http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/10/03/video-sweeney-hackday06/

If you have a well designed application, then it shouldn't matter to
you what elements go on what page.  If your shopping cart needs a sale
price it should be easy for you to slap that into some template
somewhere and put a few lines here and there within your app to make
it work.  It shouldn't require rewrites of the core of your
application, but rather additions to it.  As such, if you have your
core application down you don't really need a design.  It should be
scaffolding that is able to function 100% as is without any pretty
design.

But all that rambling is my opinion. :)