From: Brad Bonkoski [mailto:bbonkoski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 1:50 PM
To: Marcelo Wolfgang
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  best technique to get the ID of the last inserted value

One easy solution would be to get the ID before you do the insert....
i.e. in Oracle you would run the query:
select some_id_generating_seq.nextval from dual

and then you would use that id to insert and you would know the id after
that...and the DB would take care of locking and such.
So, check the help pages for your DB of choice to see what support they
have for something like that.

-B