Re: Social Networking Sites OT

On Fri, July 13, 2007 7:53 am, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 23:51 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
>> It's gotten to the point where I pretty much view social networking
>> sites as just another form of spammers...
>>
>> I blogged about it, and would like feedback from members of this
>> lists, for various reasons I would hope would be obvious.
>>
>> PLEASE put responses in my blog, or your blog, or whatever, but not
>> here, as I'm sure this thread could be quite annoying as it has
>> minimal to zero concrete PHP content.
>>
>> http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/
>
> I didn't feel like logging in so I'll post my comment here:
>
> The whole idea behind a social network is that you can socially
> network... as such inviting your friends is a great approach. I use
> facebook and from time to time I do indeed invite my friends. The
> problem you are experiencing is abuse of the feature. You have
> entities
> outside of what you would call friends that are hitting you up for a
> connection. The solution to this really should be the opportunity to
> register your address with the social network such that you will no
> longer receive requests.

Which you will note was in my proposal...

But I think it should be a "standard" to have such a link in every
invite email, so one doesn't have to go digging through a site to try
to find a way to contact somebody who runs the site to ask for a total
ban on their email.

I blew at least 10 to 15 minutes the other day trying to find a way to
get through to Facebook, for example.  They have that annoying
practice of not actually providing a contact email until you've gone
through the web equivalent of voice-mail hell clicking through page
after page of FAQs that have nothing to do with your problem. :-(

If somebody is really your friend, just send them an email direct or
give them a call -- Don't expose their email to the social networking
site owners.

I also don't really want to have to run through that process for every
new social networking site.  I've done it a lot, and it's getting
quite tiresome now...

Perhaps I'm just a minority, but the social-networking sites are being
abused a whole lot for this particular email...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?