Re: SMS questions

On Thu, July 12, 2007 6:39 pm, Brian Dunning wrote:
> Hi all - I've been looking at a number of the commercial service
> providers for bulk SMS messaging, most of whom have PHP APIs. But
> since they are selling something they don't answer my question....
>
> Is there any (legal, legitimate) way to send an SMS message that can
> be replied to the desired SMS cell number? Like, if I use PHP to send
> an SMS to Bob, can I make it appear to come from Jim's cell phone so
> that Bob can reply directly to Jim normally? The services all require
> Jim to log into their web site to read any replies.

Almost for sure no.

The SMS carriers are taking their lessons from email spam and pretty
much won't let you do anything even remotely like that hinky.

Plus, their only customers are mostly, umm, errr, ring tones and
fortune-tellers, so they have more than enough problems already with
disputed billing from their clients' customers.

Hmmm.  I'm probably conflating "SMS short code provisioning" with more
general short code services, as I only worked on a short code
application...  But I'm betting you can't forge the caller phone
number even in "regular" messaging.  Just too much room for abuse
there.

Good Luck!

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.