Re: Keeping sessions

Stut wrote:
> Jorge González wrote:
>> Stut escribió:

>>> Not only is this a PHP list, but your problem is a PHP problem. I'm
>>> shocked. No, really.
>> Ok :)
>
> Indeed it is.
>
>>> Apache does *not* get involved in sessions. Not at all.
>> Well the question is I was dealing with an Apache mod_proxy_balanced
>> and plans to use LVS or ldirector for balancing between backend
>> servers. I didn't know about other solutions.
>
> That doesn't change the fact that Apache does not get involved in
> sessions. Nor does mod_proxy_balanced, LVS or ldirector. Sessions are a
> PHP entity. The only part of them that leaves the PHP part of the
> solution is the session identifier which travels in cookies and/or URLs.
>
>>> Just to clarify, you're building a shared hosting system that load
>>> balances all sites across a cluster of web servers? If not, please
>>> explain what it is you're actually trying to do.
>> yes, that is, and sessions are important. Users's session must be
>> persistent in all cases: web server down, user jumpig between backend
>> web servers, etc
>
> In that case you need to make sure you explain to your users/customers
> that they cannot use a custom session handler and expect it to work.

race conditions aside I think they could use a custom handler that makes use
the [mysql?] database that comes with their account (I'm assuming that the DB
server is also centralized/replicated.) ... I agree with Stut that your going to
want to make information available about all this to your users/customers in
big cow-sized letters.