Re: Edinburgh, Scotland: PHP Developer Position

On 6/18/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 10:40 -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 16:22 +0200, Tijnema wrote:

> > > This is always beat around...and my 2 cents are that all the "piece of
> > > paper" is worth is showing you have a certain level of commitment needed
> > > to complete the degree program (important for any job), and that you
> > > have the ability to learn.  Granted...there are always exceptions to the
> > > rule...
> >
> > I think that these programs are too overall based, and jobs are mostly
> > quite focused on a single point. Very simple example, you're working
> > on a text based site, why do you need to know how to use the GD
> > functions?
> > If each company would create its own very simple test, that only
> > focuses on the actual point, than that would see who is appropriate
> > for the job, and who isn't
>
> Maybe so,  but it would tell you who can adapt to change ;) Not that a

Should have read "but it won't tell you..."

Cheers,
Rob.

   Keep in mind, though, that a good part of the time here in the
United States, employment is gained by knowing someone (not
necessarily political, but someone may ask, "hey, do you know anyone
who knows how to .... ").  That's actually how I got the job that I'm
in, and my degree was in Criminal Justice back in the nineties.  I
never got a computer science degree, nor do I think I ever plan on
getting one.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272