RE: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On Tue, June 12, 2007 10:12 pm, Jake McHenry wrote:
> Has anyone tried cracking/hacking what Microsoft has done with the
> animal
> pictures?

MS is using petfinder.com or whatever it is, as their source to know
what is a "cat" and a "dog"

So all you have to do is trick petfinder.com into giving you all the
"cat" and "dog" pictures, and store those (or their MD5).

You then can get the MS image, look it up in your db, and you've
cracked their system.

This does not seem like it would be terribly difficult, even with the
number of cats/dogs on the site.

> have the answer? Other than the completely blind, anyone can tell what
> a cat
> is, and they could even take it further by added a bark or meow or
> something

I've seen an awful lot of bad pictures (or even live animals) where
telling if it was a cat or a dog was pretty hard at first...

> similar. Can a computer tell the difference between a bark and a meow?
> Each
> animal has its unique vocal tones and cry signature... just as a human
> (who's not impersonating, which as long as its not a picture of the
> mocking
> bird.......), does this help at all? Instead of relying on our own
> known
> dictionary and numbers.... Everyone knows about animals...... My 0.02

Given Microsoft's track record, would you really want to rely on them
for ANYTHING involving Security?

[Correct answer: No]

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.