Re: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

At 3:02 PM -0400 6/11/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
OCR is extremely fast. I've done work in the past using OCR and while it
was simple text in documents, the OCR program could extract the text
from the image of a magazine page in about a second. For simplistic
displays of text, or even only slight noise, the OCR will beat human
hands down every time.

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob:

I was thinking about this the other day -- computers are fast and people are generally slow. So, instead of making the time short, examine how fast the answer was obtained. Immediate = computer; delayed = human.

Even an easy LETTER CAPTCHA takes time for a human, but a computer can recognize and respond much quicker.

I know, spammy can delay his bot's response, but it's just a difference between computer/human to consider.

For example, what if a LETTER CAPTCHA provided letters in a timed sequence? Such as:

then .6 seconds (time delay random from .1 to 2 seconds)

AS

then 1.1 seconds

ASD

Would there be a consistent time difference between the way a computer would read/respond to the letters as compared to a human? I dunno, but it's food for thought.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------