Re: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 10:38 -0400, tedd wrote:
> Gnag:
>
> I know we can beat this thing to death, as we have in previous
> threads and I don't anyone wants to travel previously traveled ground.
>
> However, Rob said:
>
> "A good captcha will try to exploit a computer's weaknesses."
>
> So, let's expound on that -- what do you consider to be a computer's weakness?

Well for instance as humans we can fairly easily recognize similar
shapes. We can recognize an apple whether it is red, green, yellow, has
a stem, has a leaf, is half eaten. A computer might recognize a circle,
and might guess that the circle is an apple based on further analysis.
But we as humans could recognize it as an apple even if we stretched it
a bit so it was no longer circular, or as I said, if it was a crescent
because someone had taken a huge bite out of it. This is something
humans excel at... inferring information from similar previous
experiences.

Taking the image captcha to a different level, one could combine our
ability to understand language as well as imagery. For instance we could
have an icon repository of animals, vehicles, plants, etc (very obvious
ones anyways). Then to create a captcha we could randomly select X
icons, slightly morph them to spoof matching them within the captcha
image itself, then ask:

    What animal do you see in the above picture?

I think someone already said microsoft or someone does something
similar. The principle is that we know what generally constitutes an
animal and a computer does not. Similarly, an audio complement would be
to have a background sound of maybe low level radio chatter overlaid
with the sounds of various everyday items... then one could ask:

    What did you hear ringing?

Possible answers... a bell, the telephone, an alarm, etc.

The problem then becomes an issue of people who can't spell or are
terrible at recognizing everyday things.

Cheers,
Rob.