Re: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 12:29 -0400, tedd wrote:

>  From a visual disability standpoint, all graphic CAPTCHA's are bad.

Sure, but from the perspective of protecting visitors from hard-core
porn link, sex toys links, scams, etc etc, it has strong merit. Trust
me, I've seen sites get completely messed up just because they used a
forum that had no captcha... of course, I've also seen sites get
completely messed up because the default captcha sucked... yes I'm
looking at you PHPBB.

>  From the not-disabled standpoint, most intelligible graphic CAPTCHA's
> that can be read, can also be read by bots. So, it doesn't make much
> difference to create variations of the theme, because the theme can
> always be broken if it is to remain solvable by the sighted. In other
> words, anything you can read, so can a bot.

Yes and no. There are levels of difficulty for both. There are
somethings that a computer find more difficult than a human and vice
versa. A good captcha will try to exploit a computer's weaknesses.

> Of course, you must also keep in mind what you are trying to protect.
> If it's something popular and thus would return something of value,
> then no CAPTCHA is going to keep evil-doers from accessing it.

By having a single captcha layer you allow yourself a single entry point
at which to change CAPTCHA across your site. So even if you're popular
you can make sitewide changes to your captcha system from a single
point. You can employ multiple captcha libs, you can try and keep ahead
of the bots as they knock down each wall. This is what I do.

> On the other hand, if what you're trying to protect has no real
> significance, then no one is going to brother breaking your CAPTCHA.

Wrong. If you are protecting something completely worthless and your
using a popular blog or forum software then you will undoubtedly inherit
it's deficiencies regardless of the content of your site.

> So, why use a CAPTCHA at all? Instead use something simple such as "1
> + 1 = ?".

If your site is popular enough this will be thwarted easily also. See
your original argument.

>  That will stop most cursory bots. If your site is popular,
> then nothing easy like a CAPTCHA is going to work anyway -- you'll
> have to come up with another method.

Or constantly adapt. Sounds like fun :)

> However, if you insist on making a CAPTCHA for your site (as clients,
> not knowing better, sometimes insist), then also add an alternative
> "way in" for the visually disabled like so:

Now I'm not going to argue this point to any real depth. You obviously
don't have statistics for the efficacy of CAPTCHA and I don't want to
invoke erroneous logic by pointing out that if Slashdot, Yahoo, Google,
etc are all using it then it must have some usefulness :)

> http://sperling.com/examples/captcha/
>
> If you want the code, just ask and I'll provide.
>
> My thought is if you want to do image alteration, you might put your
> skills to better use by writing routines for various photographic
> effects, such as "Fish-Eye" or "Oval Cut-Outs" or whatever -- rather
> than beating the dead horse CAPTCHA.

I'm in a time crunch right now, I'll explore more options later ;)

Cheers,
Rob.