Re: second/custom PEAR/PECL installation. possible? how?

Daniel Brown wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Daniel Brown wrote:
>> > On 6/6/07, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >    Yeah, my truck, too.  I do computer forensics primarily, so I'm on
>> > the road all the time.  I have a laptop in the front between the
>> > driver and passenger seats with a system in the back hardwired through
>> > an inverter, which is packed with an Everio video camera, RF monitors,
>> > et cetera.
>>
>> the mind boggles - your geek level way surpasses mine :-) - in fact I
>> had to look up 'inverter' :-/
>>
>> can't figure how exactly the camera and rf monitors tie into the
>> forensics,
>> sounds cool though! besides who am I to question a man with a truck
>> packed
>> with more custom electronics that I have in my house :-)
>>
>> >    Manually doing the APC module may not be ideal, but if it's an
>> > immediate requirement, you could do it like that for now just to get
>> > it up and going, then work on creating your test environment so that
>> > you'll be ready to go when the need to update or modify the
>> > installation arises.
>>
>> a, seems like the way to go - I can live with that.
>>

>    The camera is just for audiovisual recording of evidence on the
> scene, while the RF monitors, WLAN (A/B/G) scanners, et cetera, are
> for bug detection, AP/Ad Hoc/WiFi hijacking and sniffing, and so on.
> It's a lot of fun, if you're into that kind of geek stuff like I am.

sounds a bit over my head - but it does sound like fun indeed!

>    Going back to your original point, however, I do have to agree
> that Plesk upgrades are a nightmare, and I've been doing Linux server
> administration for well over a decade now.  It's so non-standard and
> yet still intertwined that it makes even the simplest system
> modifications (PHP recompilations, for example) turn into a day-long
> project sometimes.... and sometimes longer, with downtime and loss of
> hair thrown in for good measure!

ah good - in the sense that a 'real' sys admin feels where I'm coming from,
rather than it being just my twisted perception (and lack of sys admin skills)
when it comes to plesk.

hand compiled extensions here I come :-)