Re: uploading really big files

On Sat, June 2, 2007 3:01 pm, Alexander Jaeger wrote:
>> Depends who is doing the uploading...
>>
>> One also could imagine a write-only account, either in FTP or SCP
>> setup.
>>
>> I know I've seen this in FTP, and I don't see any reason SCP
>> couldn't.
>>

> the reason why scp is different is it needs an system account with a
> valid shell.
> FTP does simply not (but it can :).
>
> I think nobody except the root user should have shell access to a
> server,
> only for security reasons.

Veering off the original topic quite a bit here, but...

I personally would refuse to work with any webhost who didn't give me
a shell account.

cron jobs, symlinks, large-scale file operations, and other
innumerable minor reasons make non-ssh web development a royal PITA
for me, personally.

So root-only shell is way too restrictive, imho.

>>> -> *Flash *:
>>>         There a lot of Tutorials out there, try google or
>>> sourceforge.
>>>

>> Leaves all your non-Flash users out in the cold, which to me is a
>> non-starter, but might be fine for the OP
>>

> There I totaly agree with you! But I require my user to have flash,
> same
> as i require them to have an graphical browser.
>
> I can imagine where the internet would be with still browsing with
> lynx,
> but i guess that is a decision every developer has to face.

Ummmmm.

I tend to use Linux as my desktop, and gave up on Flash long ago.

Once I stopped installing it on Windows, I had a MUCH better online
experience, actually.

Websites are faster, no annoying random noises and fewer distracting
"popups" and the CPU and RAM usage finally is reasonable.

So I can't listen to bands on myspace.  big deal.

> I guess the gap is between introducing people how to handle a ftp or
> scp
> transfer and installing flash.

The gap is between a tiny percentage of users who CANNOT install
flash, period.

I don't know of any OS that doesn't have a large assortment of FTP
clients available.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?