Re: uploading really big files

Angelo Zanetti schrieb:

clive wrote:
Angelo Zanetti wrote:
Dear all

We need to develop a system where we can upload really big files. IE 15 - 25 Mb.

I know its not a php answer, but if you have ever uploaded a file with facebook then you will have seen the little applet they push down to your browser, perhaps investigating something like might prove useful, I doubt they wrote it themselves, then again maybe they did.

yeah seen that its a Java applet was going to research it but didnt have time. Quite a cool component though!

Thanks

Hello List,

i think an upload of 15 - 25 MB is not that big, just depends on which kind of customers you rely,

in Sweden for an instance is an 100 Mbit line a normal thing for a home user.

For a Video plattform we use a an Flash upload formular that posts to an php file, works up to 120MB like a charm (we just havent test > 120MB, but it should also work)

<Options>

- Give them FTP or SCP or something that is more stable and will re-try.

-> *SCP* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy)
        SCP ?!? an shell account for an unkown person on a server?
        NO DONT DO THAT!!!
the only way to secure scp running normal envirements is to set a chroot, and that is way to much effort for a system > 5 users.
        (http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)
the least thing you would have to worry about is that your server is becoming a spam nest.
-> *FTP  *
        could work depending on the requirements you have.
        Try Proftpd it has an easy way to integrate mysql.
         (http://www.proftpd.org/)
        Also try enabling SSL/TLS to keep some privacy.

-> *Flash *:
       There a lot of Tutorials out there, try google or sourceforge.
(http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=flash+upload+php)

the important settings within php is as mentioned memory_limit as the file gets sucked in, post_max_size and upload_max_filesize as php denies file larger than these settings.

By the way as mentioned before, alot of ram is require, but there is nothing you couldnt throw hardware at.

Also try playing around with safemode, set an upload dir where the filesystem has no exec rights.
       (if somebody uploads a script like sh or bash or what ever)

Dont place the upload within your webroot, or they will be accessable from the 'outside'.

Dont take for granted that the user uploads a file that you like him to upload, test the file, copy the file, make filechecks on the type (not just the normal is '.wmv' within the filename), keep in mind which user on your system runs the php script.

       If you run cronjobs with the uploaded stuff, dont do it with root.

</Options>

<My Opinion>
	- The browser gets tired of waiting around for the upload to complete
	- because your server is too slow/busy, and the user has a very bad
	- experience.

       I think that statement is totally wrong, we have all seen the success an plattform like youtube made, and they do it no other way.
if you have a server that is to slow/busy -> get a another one, or a new Administrator (if it is config based)
</My Opinion>

As a summary, think about what you want to do, it is possible, but as mentioned by beware of the side effects.

Oh long post....

Cheers,
Alex