Re: System log in problems

Richard Lynch wrote:
There are several/many things it COULD be...

First Guess:

header("Location: logged_in_page.php");

Some versions of IE will figure out what you meant with the above
WRONG code, but will NOT carry the Cookie for your session along with
it, so you're bounced back as if you never had a Cookie, even though
you did.

Use a full URI like you're supposed to for Location: and all is well.

The problem user may also have refused Cookies which are probably
being used for your session login to ID the user, and then they can
never login.

I also have long suspected that some versions of IE in some common
settings of their goofy "security" levels will not work unless your
server kicks out those ill-designed p3p headers, but have never taken
the time to prove/test/disprove this hypothesis.

Asking the user to switch to Firefox is just soooo much more
satisfying in the long run than trying to cater to IE broken-ness...
:-)

YMMV

There are probably a dozen things more that could be going wrong... You'll have to dig deeper into what's happening to find out.

I've just gotta ask which part of the following made you think IE...

> Operating system is Ubuntu 7.04 released in April 2007
>   also using Firefox Version 2.0.03
> Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linusi686; en-US;rv:1.8.13) Gecko/200611201
> Firefox/ 2.0.0.3 (Ubuntu-feisty)

Or were you just in the mood to continue your rant against MS products?

And I must congratulate you on the suggestion that the user switches from Firefox to Firefox. Inspired advice there! :D

-Stut