Re: System log in problems

On Thu, May 24, 2007 4:51 pm, Rich Peterson wrote:
> Let me start by saying I am not 100% sure this
> is the correct board to post this to. I hope it is
> because as i have watched this list it contains
> some very helpful people.
>
> I have search for an answer to this and cannot
> seem to find it.  We have a subscription based
> site that is developed mainly with php and mysql.
> We have one person who each time he attempts
> to log in it just rolls back to the login page. With
> almost 2000 users this is the only time we have
> come across this problem. He is not running your
> average system at his home the details are.
>
> Operating system is Ubuntu 7.04 released in April 2007
>   also using Firefox Version 2.0.03
> Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linusi686; en-US;rv:1.8.13) Gecko/200611201
> Firefox/ 2.0.0.3 (Ubuntu-feisty)
>

> I can login using firefox and ie no problem but am running a
> more common windows system. Is there something on our
> end that could be causing this problem for him?

There are several/many things it COULD be...

First Guess:

header("Location: logged_in_page.php");

Some versions of IE will figure out what you meant with the above
WRONG code, but will NOT carry the Cookie for your session along with
it, so you're bounced back as if you never had a Cookie, even though
you did.

Use a full URI like you're supposed to for Location: and all is well.

The problem user may also have refused Cookies which are probably
being used for your session login to ID the user, and then they can
never login.

I also have long suspected that some versions of IE in some common
settings of their goofy "security" levels will not work unless your
server kicks out those ill-designed p3p headers, but have never taken
the time to prove/test/disprove this hypothesis.

Asking the user to switch to Firefox is just soooo much more
satisfying in the long run than trying to cater to IE broken-ness...
:-)

YMMV

There are probably a dozen things more that could be going wrong...
You'll have to dig deeper into what's happening to find out.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?