Re: retrieve POST body?

You are correct, I'm not very familiar with Perl.

If I do go the route of using something else to accept the form data and then executing the PHP script, I'd be leaning more toward somehow executing the PHP script directly rather then sending back a redirect to the user-agent to re-send the request to the PHP script. Reason being that if a file is uploaded, it ends up getting sent twice. For a large file, that's a lot of extra HTTP traffic.

Anyhow, after much talk and some pretty innovative suggestions, I think I'm going to... 1. Put in a feature request to have the entire POST body, unaltered, dumped to a temp file. And in the mean time... 2. Reconstruct an identical POST body from the $_POST[] array, with some trial-and-error form field renaming (in the case of server-side image maps) and placement of uploaded files. (Slow, I know, and not guaranteed to work everywhere, but it keeps the script as portable as possible.) 3. Instruct page designers to refrain from using "special" characters in form field names when using this script. And also suggest to page designers to try to keep the number of server-side image maps and file uploads at a minimum, for speed and performance reasons.) 4. Provide the capability for the PHP script to execute a user-defined include file and read a user-defined file for the POST body. This would allow future improved operation in case the feature request ever materializes, or a sysadmin uses an external process (Perl or whatever else) to dump the POST body to a file.

Myron Turner wrote: