Re: WWE in Stamford, CT needs a kick ass PHP Developer!

At 2:11 PM -0400 4/12/07, Jarrel Cobb wrote:
First, CSS layout is relatively new thing.

New? New to you perhaps, but certainly not "new"! CSS2 was released almost ten years ago -- that's a lifetime in web years.

Its been possible for a while
but bad browser support for CSS made it difficult.  I didn't imply that
people should use a nested table layout and I clearly statement that now a
days most people go for CSS layouts.  I was simply saying that Dreamweaver
came/comes in handy when you are forced to work with a nested table layout
either because its 1998 and I.E. 4 has crappy CSS support or because you're
working with HTML generated by Photoshop.

True, browsers support css differently, but that hasn't prohibited competent developers from learning how to use it and developing compliant web sites -- just look around. Those who use "poor browser support" as an excuse for not learning css are simply choosing to remain ignorant.

That's OK, people can remain as ignorant as they want -- but it's another to claim that they are "leading edge" in developing web sites when they're still stuck in tables. I see those claims all the time by companies who haven't a clue as to what validation is, let alone things like accessibility. What's unfortunate, those things matter in sales -- and that's what clients really want!

And, no one is forced to work with nested tables, even if you have to work from Photoshop layouts. What do you think the rest of us do? We see what the client wants and we create it. There's not a frigging layout that you can create in Photoshop that I can't tun into a compliant web page AND probably do it faster than your Dreamweaver experts when you consider the entire web site. There's more to a web site than a Photoshop image.

Sorry for the rant -- but sometimes things are so obvious it's frustrating to hear people supporting poor practice.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------