Re: MD5 & bot Question

At 1:04 PM -0400 4/9/07, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 12:51 -0400, tedd wrote:
 >We were talking
 > about M$'s "picture" captcha where they show pictures and ask a
 question like "Pick the picture that shows a kitty" and NOT an "on
 the fly" graphic captcha. There are different types of captchas.

Ah, I see. I was too lazy to go check since I don't use Microsoft except
insofar as to make things work in their crappy browser. Either way, can
you verify the images are static? See if getting two kitty cats produces
the same md5 signature :) Just because it's a picture doesn't invalidate
what I said.

I'm not out to validate, or invalidate, what you said. I'm just making the point that a finite number of pictures is different than an almost infinite number of "on the fly" generated graphic images.

The "new" captcha M$ is trying, is to use pictures of objects and have the user identify which are cat pictures, like so:

http://research.microsoft.com/asirra/

The web site states that it has over two million pictures of cats and dogs. This captcha requires that you simply to select ALL the cat photos leaving the dog photos unchecked. After doing so, it checks your score to allow entry.

This one is different than the first one I saw, which presented only one cat picture in several dog pictures -- I think I could break that. But, this one is more difficult.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------