Re: MD5 & bot Question

At 1:21 AM -0700 4/9/07, Micky Hulse wrote:
Maybe use flash for this... harder to crack? (Of course, Flash will open door to other problems.)

Sorry, coming in on this late. Good work Tedd! Very interesting.

M:

Tijnema showed how MD5 could be used to identify an image file and crack my arrow captcha. That's really what this thread was about. I finally came up with enough variations to make it impractical.

However, this did make me wonder about the images that M$ and others are using for captchas -- like find the kitty in a set of pictures. The MD5 application could be used to identify as many pictures as any spammer would need. So, I think MD5 method, as described in this thread, would work very well to crack those type of captchas.

As for Flash, the only problems it presents is IF it's installed, or not. But, it has pretty good saturation. Of course, the major problem with Flash, and all this thread, is that visually impaired users can't use graphic images unless some other information accompanies it -- that's the reason for the alt attribute.

Thanks,

tedd

--
-------