Re: Alternative/Addition to using a CAPTCHA

At 2:00 AM -0500 4/1/07, Richard Lynch wrote:
On Fri, March 30, 2007 2:29 pm, tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 For those of you not following, what tedd's done with is blue dot is
 created a larger image that contains a blue dot somewhere.  You can
 click in a fairly wide area, but only clicking on the blue dot yields
 a success.

But it's probably not any harder to "crack" than the traditional
WORD_AS_IMAGE captchas -- One just has to write an algorithm to
edge-detect the blue circle instead of edge-detecting the letters and
converting them to ASCII.

Actually, edge-detecting the blue circle is probably easier, when you
get right down to it.

It's the same kind of basic "robot vision" that's covered in CS
Algorithms 101 class.

That's true to a certain extent, but robot vision has it's limits and cost.

The alpha channel image allows text and the image to merge as a screen reader would view it -- as such the text on the page become noise for edge detection routines.

Plus, I can certainly change the blue-dot image to anything I want such as a red pig, yellow star, green leaf, white-dot (i.e., the dimming or absence of text), even different text, or anything that could be easily recognized by a sighted human but be a nightmare for edge detection and subsequent object identification.

http://sperling.com/examples/p-captcha

I can also add logic to the presentation such as "click the largest blue dot" and present three of different sizes -- or present "click the tree" in a presentation of several different objects.

The number of different types of presentations and how easily the presentations can be changed would be an effective method for stopping bots. I can't envision how a bot could accurately solve such problems.

As I see it, the only means a bot would have at successful navigation would be a random "guess" at what the coordinates might be and then the success of that is a function of how large the background is as compared to the image (background pixels/image pixels) and how many times they are allowed to guess.

Plus, what's to stop one from using multiple layer dot-capthca's? Present two test and the odds against random success go up tremendously.

Considering that most graphic CAPTCHA's are broken with respect to blocking bots and are clearly approaching the point where even able visioned users have problems with them, I see this technique as a very viable alternative. Would you rather try to decipher twisted letters in an image OR click the dot twice?

The biggest problem here, of course, is we are considering ONLY able vision users. Those with impaired vision or limited cognitive or physical skills would be also blocked and therein lies the rub. Thus, my continued work to find a solution as with my recent work on my audio CAPTCHA, regardless of speech recognition techniques.

I just need a way for vision impaired users to find the dot -- any suggestions?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------