Re: Audio CAPTCHA review request

On Thu, March 29, 2007 3:50 pm, tedd wrote:
>>And because you can't do anything on the internet without bumping
>>into adult material. Don't worry, this is safe... no pics or bad
>>words, just an article about using porn sites to break visual
>>CAPTCHA.  The spambots would take your visual CAPTCHA images and
>>post it to their site which offers users free porn if they pass the
>>CAPTCHA. And there's no lack of people wanting free porn so sounds
>>like it was fairly effective:
>>http://www.boingboing.net/2004/01/27/solving_and_creating.html
>
> Now that is clever. However, I am having difficulty seeing just how
> they can obtain and use the information provided. For example, if I
> say the key for a specific CAPTCHA is 123 -- then how can that help a
> spammer because when he returns to the site, the CAPTCHA would have
> changed?
>
> Can you explain how that works?

They take your CAPTCHA in real-time, with curl, pass it on to their
users, who give them the answer, and they give the answer, still in
real-time, back to you, allowing their user in, only if you let them
in.

I.e., they make a "mirror CAPTCHA" of your CAPTCHA, and unlock their
door, only if you unlock yours.  [I think a bad joke on "You show me
yours and I'll show you mine" is in order at this point...]

The thing I find most interesting about this, however, is that it's
URBAN LEGEND.

This technique was DESCRIBED at a Conference as a way to beat CAPTCHA,
and within days it's all over the Internet as "known technique".
Guess that's the effect of having "porn" as the solution.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?