Re: Audio CAPTCHA review request

tg:

At 2:36 PM -0400 3/29/07, <tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. My biggest fear when relying on an audio CAPTCHA system is if the users doesn't have sound. No speakers, or can't play stuff at the office or something like that. I keep my system muted at work unless I'm playing music because some websites have dumb little flash things that make sounds and I don't feel like explaining what I'm surfing to my coworkers constantly. And just out of a general courtesy to them not to create undue distractions in the office.

Yes, but this is just the Audio part -- more to follow.

2. What you've created is a relatively simplistic audio captcha that HAS to be really succeptible to speech recognition. Spammers have gotten used to visual CAPTHCA so maybe they're not going to focus too much on detecting and breaking audio CAPTCHA, but that still comes down to "security through obscurity" which isn't a good practice.

There isn't any good practice here -- it's all just an attempt to do "the best the media will permit".

Once they had the software set up. Then they just have to fake the "Speak Key" submit and grab the "tmp/access.mp3?##########" out of phone.php (submitting proper cookie/session data) and that's it.

Two things:

1. There's no cookie data -- how does one access session data? I thought outside of the sessionID, you couldn't -- am I wrong?

2. I might be able to generate a sound file that can be accessed only once. In other words, once you grab the file it's not there for a second look (like is light a wave or particle thing). Now, put that together with a hidden token in the form that accompanies the key, then even typing the correct key wouldn't work unless it was submitted via the form and not injected. I have to think about the logic here -- but this is just of the top of my head.

And because you can't do anything on the internet without bumping into adult material. Don't worry, this is safe... no pics or bad words, just an article about using porn sites to break visual CAPTCHA. The spambots would take your visual CAPTCHA images and post it to their site which offers users free porn if they pass the CAPTCHA. And there's no lack of people wanting free porn so sounds like it was fairly effective:
http://www.boingboing.net/2004/01/27/solving_and_creating.html

Now that is clever. However, I am having difficulty seeing just how they can obtain and use the information provided. For example, if I say the key for a specific CAPTCHA is 123 -- then how can that help a spammer because when he returns to the site, the CAPTCHA would have changed?

Can you explain how that works?

It's definitely an interesting field. I think using the common sense techniques you (tedd) have used combined with a better CAPTCHA method, you could actually create something fairly user friendly and secure.

My vote is still for asking a person to identify images. A bot is going to have a hard time identifying a pig that's photo'd from an odd angle and maybe colored blue instead of a standard pig-color.

Not as hard as you might think. You don't have to identify it as a pig but rather as the spectral properties that a pig image displays. It's like part recognition on an assembly line.

http://www.espgame.org/

That's more the brute force method -- but at some point, it would probably work.

Thanks for your review and comments.

Cheers,

tedd
--