Re: close session when browser is closed

Edward Vermillion wrote:
>> Personally I think this does make sense.  I fully expect the browser to
>> maintain cookies "Until it is closed" -- If I have closed one tab that
>> had set a cookie, re-opening that URL in a new window/tab should still
>> cause the browser to send in my cookie.
>>

> Ouch! That doesn't make sense to me. I closed the tab/window, I expect
> that session to be done... period, without having to close down the
> whole application and restart it and open up all the other windows that
> I was working in. There are some things about FF that just really raise
> my hackles...
>
> Oh well, that's good info to have anyway, and yet another reason *not*
> to use FF to check my bank balance.

This has always been my understanding of session cookies and has served
me well in the past. The problem I have is with browsers like IE which
never really "closed" per se (at least so you were confident) and as
such you were never really sure what it meant.

I've always wondered why banks etc. always say "for security reasons
please close this window".... I always asked myself "why, what
difference does closing a window make???".

If you want my sessions to really end when you close the last window/tab
on a site in Firefox I'm sure there are extensions to do that.

Col