Re: Name Capitalization

On Tue, March 20, 2007 5:41 am, Satyam wrote:
>> JOSE DE LA ROSA => Jose De La Rosa
>> FRANK DE BOER => Frank de Boer
>>
>> this actual example may not be valid
>
> Indeed, it is not.  The correct capitalization is José de la Rosa.  At
> least
> in Spanish the rules are quite simple, unless someone is actually
> called
> 'De', neither 'de', ' la' ,'del', 'y', 'e' or 'i' would be
> capitalized, and
> there is no such a thing as a capital letter in the middle of a word
> or
> name, not in native Spanish names at least.   Nevertheless, you would
> expect
> the first letter of a sentence to be capitalized so a news heading
> such as
> 'De la Rosa won a 3rd place for McLaren' is correct.

Unless, of course, it's one of those wacky American immigrant
bastardizations of capitalization which ignores the rules...

Didja hear about the guy with the super long Polish name who had to
switch/keep it to inherit a bundle?

Seems he successfully argued in court that he could spell it with all
the letters needed to get the dough, and pronounce it "Smith" and
nobody could argue that wasn't his legal name.

How do you even measure your error rate?

Are you going to have enough names and enough users and enough valid
test users who guarantee their name is spelled "correctly" to have a
REAL test, or will you have a self-fulfilling prophecy of a test?

I hate the goofballs that use ALL CAPS as much as the next guy, but
unless your list of names is ridiculously long, you'll spend more time
writing a routine to "fix" them than you'll invest in fixing them by
hand, or revoking access to the ALL CAPS guy (or just promote him)...

Any rule-set you come up with will by biased by your sample, and
inapplicable to almost anybody else, again, unless your list is
ridiculously long.

The OP had a membership list for a yacht club or somesuch, no?

Hire some sociable 20-something who knows everybody who's anybody to
fix it and call it done already.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?