From: "Jochem Maas" <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Leonard Burton" <leonardburton@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "PHP"
<php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:09 AM
Subject: Re:  Name Capitalization

> Leonard Burton wrote:
>> HI Chris,
>>
>>> Here is one option. Make a long list (array) of search/replace pairs and
>>> loop through your text replacing as necessary.
>>>
>>> 'mcdonald' => 'McDonald'
>>> 'mcdowell' => 'McDowell'
>>> 'o\'reilly' => 'O\'Reilly'
>>> 'de la rosa' => 'De La Rosa'
>>> etc ad nauseum...
>>
>> I think the better solution would be some pregs that would go through
>> and look for "mc" then have it turn the name into "Mc" then Capitalize
>> the next letter. [same thing for "mac"]
>>
>> Then Do the same thing with "O'Henry" it would look for "o\' " then it
>> would turn it into "O' " and capitalize the "H".
>>
>>> Let us know when you're done! :)
>>
>> This project shouldn't be that hard as there are probably only 10 to
>> 15 rules for names.
>
> give or take a few *thousand* variations alot of which will conflict,
> take for instance the surname prefix 'de' - in a spanish name (we'll
> assume
> Chris' example is correct) the 'd' of a 'de' prefix should be capitalized
> BUT in a dutch name the 'd' of a 'de' prefix should not capitalized:
>
> JOSE DE LA ROSA => Jose De La Rosa
> FRANK DE BOER => Frank de Boer
>
> this actual example may not be valid

Indeed, it is not.  The correct capitalization is José de la Rosa.  At least
in Spanish the rules are quite simple, unless someone is actually called
'De', neither 'de', ' la' ,'del', 'y', 'e' or 'i' would be capitalized, and
there is no such a thing as a capital letter in the middle of a word or
name, not in native Spanish names at least.   Nevertheless, you would expect
the first letter of a sentence to be capitalized so a news heading such as
'De la Rosa won a 3rd place for McLaren' is correct.

Satyam