Re: PHP 5.2 + IE 7 = HTTP 304 in login procedure [SOLVED]

On Tue, March 13, 2007 1:56 pm, Yannick Warnier wrote:
>> > According to RFC1033 (
>> > http://www.camtp.uni-mb.si/books/Internet-Book/DNS_NameFormat.html
>> ),
>> > underscores are forbidden in DNS names, including subdomains.
>

>> Yeah, meaning that the program where you created the subdomain with
>> is not
>> following the RFC standards.....
>> Some programmers have hard time following standards...
>
> Yes... Apache 2, namely (what a bunch of inexperienced developers,
> really ;-) ).
>
> But you can't know all the web RFC standards by heart, can you?
>
> The problem also is that the browsers don't give any warning. IE
> displays it *but* does not record cookies. Others just work completely
> with it.

I wonder if the changes that allow for Interntional domain names, with
various Unicode characters I don't even know how to get out of my
keyboard, *ALSO* made _ suddenly be legal...

Just a hypothesis.

I gotta say that Apache being current on RFCs and IE being broken
seems a lot more likely to this naive reader... :-)

And you have to admit that if various characters that my keyboard
can't even produce are valid URL characters, then outlawing '_' is
kinda bogus...

Hmmmmm.  Maybe I should try to register l_i_e.com :-)

God knows somebody probably tried to use that to get to me once.

The joy of reading and memorizing RFCs is that the dang things keep
changing in non-BC ways, and one (read: Richard Lynch) can end up
posting "facts" that are no longer true. :-(

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?