PHP 5.2 + IE 7 = HTTP 304 in login procedure

Hello,

One of my clients is currently having a problem when logging into one of
my site.
Investigating further (because it works with Firefox with his login/pass
from my machine), it appears the problem is caused for an obscure reason
when IE7 requests the page and obviously does a "conditional GET", which
only loads what's necessary for this login to proceed when the page has
been updated since last time. The returned HTTP header is 304: Not
modified, which is not returned with other browsers (others get a 200
header).
This is true for PHP pages as well as included CSS files, which triggers
the question of having any link to PHP at all...

I've looked on Google quite a bit, and if I have found people having the
same kind of problems, they generally report it along with the fact that
they use incorrectly the header('HTTP/1.1 ...'); or
header('Status: ...'); function, so the fix is generally a change of
these.

However, my application doesn't set any of these headers from inside the
PHP code.

Before I start getting into the whole Apache2 config (which I'm not to
good at) and try a lot of funny things in a bid to discover one element
that would cause this, I'd like to know...

Does anybody know the problem and have already found a fix?

Thanks,

Yannick