Re: Oracle XMLTYPE column truncates

Richard Lynch wrote:
DB truncation could be either of the following:

#1.
The column is not large enough to hold that data.
Research LONGTEXT and BLOB

#2.
The query buffer is not large enough to pass the data in.
Re-configure your db/php setup.

It was definitely to do with casting it to a CLOB - it works fine now.

Note that cramming all that XML into the DB seems kinda silly to me,
unless you are using Oracle XML functionality on the data.

We've beaten this horse to death lately, but you should CONSIDER the
option of just storing the XML in a file, and the filename in the DB.

Read the "images in db" thread last week to view the dead horse.

Firstly, I *am* planning to use XMLDB, although that should be a "we" are planning to - the timings of the search results have made a compelling argument to my department. And whilst I found the whole images in db thread amusing to read, I do not actually see how what we are doing is part of that "dead horse".

Oracle seems to be quicker at searching XML than it does a fully normalised relational model (once you have the indexing setup correctly), the query was a lot easier to write and as we have variable metadata schema it suits our business needs very well. How could this be achieved by storing a link to the file?

For what it is worth, however, images belong on a file system - storing them in a db is just asking for scalability issues a bit down the road.

Mikey