Re: Separating HTML code from PHP code

At 3/10/2007 11:47 AM, Don Don wrote:
Hi all, i am building a system using php and am trying to separate the html codes from the php codes (i.e. placing them in separate files), I am from the java struts/spring background and seem to be finding it difficult doing that at the moment with php.

I've got a registration form in html with the action pointing to a separate php file that will process the form when submitted. when i want to output errors or messages, its currently being outputed in the resulting code generated by the php file. What i would like is to return to the html page and display the messages there.

You can establish the HTML form as a template which your PHP script reads, modifies, and downloads to the browser. For example, you could have a structure like this in a template:

        <form action="?" type="post" ...>
        </form>

Read the template with file_get_contents(), use str_replace() to replace '@error@' with your current error message (or an empty string), and echo the template to the browser.

As others have said, one easy model for form processing is for the form to post to itself. Here's how such a script might work:
___________________________

initialize
        if we are receiving a posted form
        {
                validate posted input
                        if no error
                        {
                                act on posted input
                                end
                        }
                plug error message into form
        }

display form

If the user submits the form, the logic begins again.

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.
http://juniperwebcraft.com