Opinion on on-line payment and banking gateway

    I'm not a PHP programmer.  I ask this question for a friend of
mine.  So I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terms.  He's making an
e-commerce website and he doesn't know much about how to validate credit
card, or how to make transactions.  What he needs is called "banking
gateway", right?

    After some search in php.net, I've found a link to
http://www.trustcommerce.com/.  Is this what he's looking for?  Has
anyone here used this?  Actually, it doesn't matter to him if such thing
isn't open-source or isn't free.  What he needs is something that
works.  Anyone has any opinions or suggestions?  Any tutorial to banking
gateway?

    Thanks in advance (in his behalf) :)