Re: echo text - anti-spam-spider measure

On Tue, February 27, 2007 10:22 pm, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
> I need an anti-spam-spider measure for my site. Too many addresses are
> getting raked. In once instance, I created a flash page:
> http://erasethis.glquebec.org/English/contact.htm
> But I just don't have the time to create a flash image for every
> single
> instance, most of which come from dynamically printed PHP pages from a
> MySQL database.
>
> Could I dynamically create a flash image, input the email and tell the
> flash image to mailto:the@xxxxxxxxxxx?
>
> Do anyone have a solution? Does one already exist?

http://php.net/ming
would let you do exactly that, assuming the Actionscript to send the
email will work.

> My idea was to create a PHP script and output to a png. But I see many
> problems, including:
>
> 1) How do I avoid echoing the email address in the <a href=""> tag?
> 2) How would I write a png that would be long and high enough?
> 3) How would the same script display the png?

You could "obfuscate" the address with html encoding, such as:
@ -> &#64; in the HTML
@ -> %40 in the URL

I believe the scrapers/spammers are still not bothering to defeat this
trivial exercise because they still get a million hits looking for
plain old emails.

> In short, I can't see far enough how to do this and avoid
> spider-raking
> in the HTML or header the content of the image.

I would suspect that every email is tied to some database record, like
an ID.

Provide a FORM which has only the ID in it, and lookup the email, and
send the email out yourself from your own server.

Yes, you could end up sending a LOT of email.

Or not, since you now control the sending with PHP and can refuse to
send in whatever scenario you find unacceptable.

For example, one of my sites does this but won't send more than 4
emails from any given IP address in one 24-hour period.

So a scraper/spammer would need to alter their IP every 4 POST
operations, which is really more work than they'll put into it.

On a super busy server with millions of users or millions of potential
recipients, this would probably be a big deal...

On MOST websites, you'll essentially be playing postman for a couple
legit emails a day, at most, and not having any problem with
scrapers/spammers.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?