FTP issues

The following issues are not really PHP issues, but more properly FTP server issues, but perhaps people on the list have some ideas on how to solve my problems.

I've written a PHP program to "mirror" data on a local drive to a remote FTP server. It compares file mod times, and only uploads files that are newer. Works like a charm. Except ---

The remote FTP server is running on a Fedora LINUX system, but I think any server would present the same issues.

To examine the remote directories, I use ftp_rawlist() to get a directory listing which I parse. However, the file modification time does not have a year, and does not show the seconds. I get around this by "assuming" the year is the current one, and then compare the file times of the local and remote files ignoring local file seconds. If they are different, I use ftp_mdtm() to get the real remote time, and then do my compare. This slows things down a bit, as I have to go to the FTP server one more time.

Any thoughts on how to get around this? Is there a way to get a better directory listing?

Second and more serious problem is that when I FTP the file to the server, the file mod time gets set to the current (file-creation) time. The same thing happens in a local-to-local file copy using copy(), but I can use touch() to update the mod time.

Any thoughts on how I might get the remote FTP server to do the equivalent of touch()?

I realize that these are not actual PHP problems, but maybe one of you has run across similar issues.

Many thanks.

Larry Bradley
Orleans (Ottawa), Ontario, CANADA