Re: Combining sound files

tedd wrote:
> I'll investigate what you suggest.

I definitely think it's the right way to go. sox can also convert from
mp3 to wav etc. as per Clive's suggestions too, so if you can use lame
from the command line via PHP, there is no reason not to just use sox
instead.

> It was by accident that I found one could combine mp3 files in such a
> manner. I combined many more than just two. Somehow, the redundant
> headers in the resultant file are not noticeably detrimental to the
> overall assembled sound. Go figure.

This is a result of the frame based approach to the file format.

As a nifty trick I've told to people before you can take several MPEG
video files that have been split from a single recorded source, such
that they are all the same resolution/bit rate etc. Put all the files
one by one into a .zip file (e.g. via winzip etc,) with zero
compression. Take the resultant .zip file and rename it to .mpeg and
play it as usual et viola, uninterrupted video!!! Same applies to mp3
hence how your trick works. The players will just skip past the
inappropriate frames quite happily (tho' like i say, it may be more
problematic WRT differing bit-rates/channels etc.).

Col