Re: Change in 5.2.1 re. parsing of URL

Jim Lucas wrote:
| Lewis Kapell wrote:
|> Jochem Maas wrote:

[snip]
|>> this is nothing to do with php - it's down to your webserver settings.
|>>
|> If this has nothing to do with PHP, maybe you can explain why the
|> behavior was broken when I upgraded from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1, and started
|> working again the instant I reverted back to 5.2.0.  No other
|> configuration changes were made on the web server.
|>
| are you using the save php.ini file?  If different, maybe their is
| something that changed with the settings in that ini file.

I can confirm that PHP 5.2.1 breaks internal URL rewrites, as we
experience it with the blogs like Wordpress and ExpressionEngine;
guess is something in PHP changed, probably a regular expression -like
function?

On the Wordpress support forum I posted the following, inclusing a test
environment:

/*
Last week we, the hosting company I work for, upgraded from PHP version
5.2.0 to 5.2.1. And suddenly customers started complaining about
find the cause (probably changes in some of PHPs regular expression-like
functions), but my guess is the Wordpress developers here know more
about the rewriting code of Wordpress than I do to pinpoint it :)

For my test purposes I have created two identical application folders
with one difference: One of them uses PHP 5.2.0 and the other 5.2.1.
They both use the same php.ini file. The phpinfo() information is
located here:
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php520/phpinfo.php
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php521/phpinfo.php

and both Wordpress installations can are located here:
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php520/index.php
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php521/index.php

As you can see, a permalink like
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php520/index.php/2007/02/21/lorem-ipsum/
works, and
~  http://www.vevida.to/php/php521/index.php/2007/02/21/lorem-ipsum/
does not.

[...]

Is this a problem I (or better, the Wordpress developers ;)) can fix by
changing some code or functions? Or is this a problem with (some of) the
PHP core fuctions which needs to be fixed by the PHP developers?

[snipped something about mod_rewrite and ISAPI_Rewrite]
*/

(http://wordpress.org/support/topic/107133)

Looking at this in the test environment, my only conclusion is that
something within PHP, or in the pcre functions, has changed.

- --
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Jan Reilink

VEVIDA Services bv, janreilink@xxxxxxxxxx
Postbus 329, 9700 AH GRONINGEN, +31(0)50 - 5492234