Change in 5.2.1 re. parsing of URL

There seems to be a behavior change introduced in 5.2.1 and I would like to know if it was deliberate.

A couple of years ago, PHP introduced functionality that made it possible to use a certain trick. I don't know how to describe this trick in words, so I will illustrate with an example.

http://www.mydomain.com/mypage.php/phonypage.pdf

In this example there is a PHP script called mypage.php which serves up a PDF. Putting the extra text at the end of the URL makes it appear to the user's browser that the URL ends with '.pdf' rather than '.php'. We introduced this hack at my company because a few users were unable to view pages containing PDF or RTF content, presumably because of some combination of browser and/or firewall settings.

I find that version 5.2.1 breaks this behavior - attempting to visit a URL such as the above produces a 'page not found' error. Presumably because it is trying to find the file 'phonypage.pdf' which doesn't exist.

My question is, should this be regarded as a bug which might be fixed? Or is this a deliberate change of behavior?

--

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations