Re: nested, referenced foreach & implicit current array pointer issues

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> Singleton in Design Patterns, p. 127:
>
> : Intent
> :     Ensure a class only has one instance, and provide a global point of
> :     access to it.
>
> The second part is IMO pretty much what you said.

it's completely out of context:

a, there is no suggestion of a class (by me)
b, there is no suggestion that the data returned by the proposed function may
only exist as a single instance.

>>> If you're affraid that someone will break a convention which says that
>>> the global associative array $foos has string indexes and values must be
>> given an array of data that is used all over a php application then it quite simply
>> saves alot fo headaches down the road to to agree on a convention that says
>> 'we' will use a function to retrieve this data whenever it is needed (regardless
>
> Agreeing on abandoning global variables would save even more headaches.

so what's your solution to data that is shared accross an application? - for instance
user data - or should every bit of code [re]retrieve the user data from the database?
and is the database really not just a 'global variable' wrapped up in a couple of
functions that are used to return data? and where would the 'key' come from that
allows for the retrieval of said user data?

>>> positive integers, or that it needs to be an array at all
>>> ($GLOBALS['foos'] = new sabotage("haha")), you would be better off in
>>> e. g. C++ with
>>>
>>> std::map<std::string, uint32_t> foos;
>> please refrain from the old
>> 'you-should-be-using-language-FOO-look-i'll-show-you-how-clever-I-am'
>> argument it's not really adding anything to this discussion.
>
> Originally I wanted to illustrate my point using PHP, but it's much more
> code.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

hardly - it's just that this is a php list - C++ examples aren't very useful
on the whole, and the language comparison is never truely orthogonal.

>>> It's not control over data types, it's visibility of access that causes
>>> most of the lossage. Wrapping the global in a function doesn't remove
>>> the structural defect.
>> huh?
>
> If PHP was statically typed, global variables would still be a bad
> smell.  They are bad smell in C++ and Java, for example.  It's too easy
> to call getfoo() before you have set up $foo.  The risk grows
> exponentially: as soon as you add another global, $bar, you risk that
> you or someone else will use getfoo() inside initbar(), and getbar()
> inside initfoo() (or getfoo() inside initfoo()).  Of course, it will be
> several function calls deep, and quite probably only happen in a code
> path that's rarly used (such as error handling).

that is just utterly contrived? why does there need to be 2 seperate functions
for init() & get()? doesn't encapsulation suggest that hiding the init() specifics
within the get()is a good idea - why should the caller of get() have to worry
about the init() at all?

[sounds like unit testing is forcing a very rigid view of how to do things -
given that unit testing 'forces' lego-brick type of code it might be worth
considering that lots of real-world building are built from concrete. - granted
it's a weird analogy]

where does $foo come from and how it is initialized in your world exactly?
and how do you suggest using, accessing, retrieving $foo?
(i'm assuming you have a perfume to battle against all these awfully bad smells)