Re[2]: nested, referenced foreach & implicit current array pointer issues

Hello Martin,

> Tuesday, January 30, 2007, 8:45:50 PM, you wrote:
>
> function f()
> {
>    global $arr;
>
>    foreach($arr as $k=>$v) {
>        $v->do_something();
>    }
> }
>
>  I don't see your point anywhere... foreach iterates over a copy of
>  the array so where is the potential side-effect? Even so there will
>  be references if the items of the original array are references, or
>  if they are objects in PHP5, but that's expected behaviour. That's
>  the way many OOP languages have been implemented (eg: Java) without
>  coders having the problems you mention. Just give me one good
>  reason to even consider your proposal.

Humm, you seem to have misunderstood (& that could be one reason in itself). In my example foreach() iterates over the original $arr array (contrary to what you say) - and so may deeply nested fns in the called do_something() method, making global + foreach construct unuseable/"unstable" in non-trivial cases.

--
Best regards,
 speedy                            mailto:speedy.spam@xxxxxxxxx