Re: Suggestions of GPL plugin-system?

On Monday 29 January 2007 8:37 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 20:02 -0600, Larry Garfield wrote:
> > I was looking for a similar good-example about 2 years ago.  What I found
> > was Drupal (http://drupal.org/), and it's hook system.  I have since
> > given up on writing my own plugin system and became a small fry Drupal
> > developer. :-)
> >
> > YMMV.
>
> Be prepared to cry sometimes when you have to do 10 times the usual work
> to work around the Drupal system... that said, it's quite nice even
> though terribly inefficient with all the layers of wrapping hooks.

There is no problem in computer science that cannot be solved by adding
another layer of indirection, except performance. :-)

When you really get into complex stuff, yes, you really have to make sure you
think about a problem the "Drupal Way".  Of course, you could say the same
for pretty much any complete framework.  Drupal is all about doing
things "sideways" for maximum flexibility and extensibility, which does come
at a penalty of conceptual complexity.

> On another up side, if you don't know how to do CSS properly, Drupal
> will hammer proper CSS usage into you as you try to style menus and
> other modules.

Also true. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42